Renewed calls for a Royal Commission to be held into domestic violence
June 9th, 2014
External Link Click Here
A LEADING child safety organisation Bravehearts has supported a Victorian Labor push for a Royal Commission to be held into domestic violence.
Bravehearts founder Hetty Johnston said on Sunday the Queensland-based organisation fully supported the proposal, calling for drastic measures to protect women and children.
However, Ms Johnston said it will fail to achieve its true objective if it did not include the Family Law Court.
“Whether its child sexual assault, domestic violence, or both, the fact is there is no accountability and no transparency within the Family Law Court,” she said.
“That is a combination that is always dangerous in any situation and in any organisation, including our judicial system.
“The Family Law Courts continually demonstrate profound ignorance and indifference in putting our children and their mothers in danger so consistently.
“Drastic measures must be taken now so the safety of women and children in this country is an immediate priority.
“They should not have to live in fear in their own homes.”
Victoria’s Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews vowed to establish the inquiry if elected on November 29 saying domestic violence had become a national emergency.
Rosie Batty, whose son Luke was bashed to death by his father Greg Anderson on a cricket oval earlier this year, said she would fully support any commission which was established.
Ms Batty told ABC Online she welcomed a Royal Commission to begin addressing the problem.
“I think it is great. I think that to be taking family violence so seriously is a really important step,” she said.
“It is really encouraging that someone really listened to some of the concerns that we have.”